Suffolk County Speeding and Traffic Ticket Attorney
In Nassau County and Suffolk County, the Law Offices of Louis L. Sternberg represents clients charged with traffic offenses, including speeding tickets. Being charged for speeding or other moving violation may seem like an issue that can be handled without a lawyer, but there are important things that an attorney can do to improve your situation.
The consequences from a traffic violation, while not as severe as the consequences for a criminal offense, can still have a large impact on your life. You will usually pay a fine, which can range in price depending on the offense; your insurance rates are likely to increase, sometimes dramatically; and your driving privileges may be at risk due to the number of points added to your license or due to the severity of your traffic violation.
Ignoring a traffic ticket will not make it go away, and in most cases it will come back to haunt you. But just because a police officer issued you a traffic ticket does not automatically mean you are guilty of the offense. You can fight traffic tickets and attempt to eliminate or reduce their penalties. Not only can traffic tickets result in fines, some can result in the suspension or revocation of your driver’s license and higher insurance premiums.
New York State has a Driver Violation Point System, under which drivers will have between 2 and 11 points added against their license when they are convicted of a traffic offense. Potential penalties include:
- Higher insurance premiums
- $100 annual assessment for every 6 points
- $25 extra annually for each point over 6
- License revocation when 11 points are assessed over 18 months
- License revocation for 3 traffic offense convictions over 18 months (regardless of the number of points)
Be careful about not responding to a ticket — inaction could result in the suspension of your license. If you are caught driving with a suspended license, you could end up facing a charge of aggravated operation of a motor vehicle, which is a misdemeanor.
We will make sure the issuing officer wrote the ticket properly and determine whether he or she can testify to the facts of your case. We can make sure dispositions were provided in a timely fashion, and we can challenge the officer’s reasoning for pulling you over. Call the Law Office of Louis L. Sternberg today if you have received a traffic ticket for any of the following offenses.
- Changing lanes unsafely
- Driving to the left of center
- Driving in the wrong direction
- Failure to stop for school bus
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Failure to obey a traffic signal
- Failure to obey a stop sign
- Failure to obey a yield sign
- Following too closely
- Inadequate brakes
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Passenger safety violation
- Passing improperly
- Railroad crossing violation
- Reckless driving